Defining career success is important for roadmapping your career, but it can be complicated because success means different things to different people. In fact, your own personal definition of success will likely change as you move throughout your career. However, it is important to define success for yourself clearly, so you can gauge your progress and determine whether you are on the right path.
Defining Career Success
Career success in the tech field is intrinsically tied to your goals. When you’re thinking about what success means to you, consider the life goals you’ve set for yourself. If you want to start or grow a family, own a home or buy a larger home, travel, take care of your parents or gain notoriety as a thought leader etc., these are all factors that will determine your definition of success.
Here are some questions to consider as you define your personal career success:
- Do you get to utilize your best talents in your career? Successful people do what they are best at every day.
- Are you motivated to do what you do every day?
- Does your work align with your values?
- Are you earning your full value in terms of salary?
Think about these things over time, don’t try to work it all out in one day. Speeding through your definition of success can mean an incomplete definition, or a definition that is misaligned with your life goals.
Defining Success at Different Stages of Your Career
In the early stages of your career, common definitions of success include factors like:
- Skills achieved
- Relationships with co-workers, colleagues and managers
- Your learning curve
As you move out of the entry level, your definition will start to shift, and might typically focus on factors such as:
- Your movement up the ladder
- Your status within the organization (how others view you)
- Your status within the greater tech community
Achieving Career Success
No matter where you are in your career, you can use these guiding principles to help you achieve the goals you have defined for yourself:
- You must actively manage your career. Don’t expect other people to do it for you.
- Continually strive to add value to your current employer.
- Be an active participant in the performance review process.
- Network, network, network.
- Build your skill set.
- Stay on top of industry trends.
To have a successful career, you must define what success looks like to you. Without such a road map, you won’t be in control and you could miss out on amazing career opportunities.
Are You Looking for New IT Career Opportunities?
As you define success for yourself, it is likely you’ll realize it’s time to take a step forward in your career. If you are looking for IT career opportunities, contact the expert tech recruiters at PEAK Technical Consulting today. We look forward to helping you achieve your goals.
PEAK Technical Consulting has created connections with employers nationwide, where you can find projects and roles to make the most of your abilities and advance your career. Since 1968, PEAK has helped IT professionals find jobs that offer flexibility, challenges and rewards. We are committed to giving you the resources and support you need to build the career of your dreams.
Take a look at some of the IT jobs we offer.
If you are looking for employers and opportunities that will take your IT career to the next level and help you achieve your goals, contact a PEAK recruitment expert today.