Tech hubs are popping up all over the country. From Seattle to Austin, and Denver to Atlanta, lots of cities are now remaking themselves as ideal places for engineers to call home. But it was California that started it all, and San Diego remains one of the epicenters of engineering opportunities. For companies based in the area, this is both good and bad news. Here is what you need to know about hiring engineers in San Diego.
The Good News
The good news is that abundant engineering opportunities tend to attract the best of the best. Engineers are drawn to San Diego, in part because they know they will never be out of work for long. This means a deep and rich talent pool from which you can draw.
The Bad News
Of course, the flip side of the coin is that the sheer number of available positions means stiff competition for employers. The labor market remains tight, and top engineering candidates know they can pick and choose. You’ll have to get creative if you want to attract the best.
How to Hire the Best Engineers
Bringing in top engineers in San Diego requires a multifaceted approach. You’ll need to simultaneously do several things. These include:
- Streamline your hiring process: Make the most of technology to streamline every aspect of your hiring process. Top engineers won’t wait around for long, so keep them moving through each step, and keep them informed at every stage.
- Utilize passive recruitment: It’s not enough to post job ads and wait for resumes. You’ll need to find and target passive recruits. These are people who are already employed but are potentially open to a better offer. Smart passive recruitment will put you ahead of your competitors.
- Remove bias: Despite the vast numbers of women and people of color who have entered the tech industry, many companies still have a “bro culture” that prioritizes white men. Put together a DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) council to go through your hiring process and find ways to remove bias.
- Lower the barriers: Everyone deserves that first opportunity to prove themselves. Develop career paths with a lower bar to entry that allow new graduates to gain skills and experience on the job.
- Work with a staffing agency: One of the best ways to stand out from your competitors is to partner with a dedicated engineering recruiter. We know how to handle a sea of engineering opportunities, and how to position your company to stand out. We’re also expert matchmakers, able to provide you with a short list of candidates who are truly a good fit with your organization.
Build A Forward-Thinking Engineering Team With PEAK
If you are looking for talented San Diego engineering employees who can help your organization achieve its goals, contact the experts at PEAK Technical Staffing today to learn how we can help you access cutting-edge talent.