If you run a business, it only makes sense to pay attention to your competitors, including up-and-coming industries nearby. In both Northern and Southern California, the hottest new industry is biotech. One of the main reasons for this is a biotech business incubator at Loma Linda University. Known as n3EIGHT (incubate), it’s designed to bring together researchers, students, and companies to turn lab discoveries into commercially viable services and products.
These startup companies typically focus on one of four categories:
- Medical devices
- General biotech
They’re attracted by the same things that draw many companies to California:
- Highly intelligent and educated workforce
- Large population centers
- Strong infrastructure
- Welcoming community
- Great weather
How Can My Company Compete for Engineering Talent?
With so many startups coming to town, you might worry about whether you can compete for top engineering talent. Fortunately, remaining competitive is as simple as focusing on the basics:
- Build a strong company culture. Ultimately, people want to work for employers that make them feel valued. Solicit feedback from your current employees. Find out what’s working and what you can do better. Go out of your way to improve communication, diversity, and worker engagement.
- Learn engineer speak. If you want engineering candidates to take you seriously, you’ll need to learn to speak their language. You don’t have to know a lot of technical jargon, but you should be able to carry on a reasonable conversation.
- Sell your company’s uniqueness. Many startups, funded by venture capital, tend toward pie in the sky promises. But you have something very important that they don’t yet have: experience. Draw on that experience to figure out what makes your company unique. Then use that as a selling point.
- Work with an engineering staffing agency. With a lot of competition for top engineers, simply drawing up job postings and waiting for responses is a great way to end up lost in the crowd. A dedicated engineering staffing agency knows where to find both active and passive recruits. We also know how to position your company to be more attractive to them.
Build A Forward-Thinking Engineering Team With PEAK
If you are looking for talented engineering professionals who can help your organization achieve its goals, contact the experts at PEAK Technical Staffing today to learn how we can help you access cutting-edge talent.