No matter how well the rest of the interview went, the end is your time to shine. The interviewing manager will take time to ask, “Do you have any questions for me?” This is your opportunity to not only showcase your knowledge of the company but also your motivation and cultural fit, and to prove that you’re ready to contribute from day one.
Depending on your specialization, you will have questions about the day-to-day tasks of your position, but make sure you also include questions focused on culture, the team you are working with and the company overall.
Here are questions you should be asking in your engineering interview:
In a recent survey, some 65 percent of engineering managers said that cultural fit is important when evaluating professionals for contract or full-time positions. More importantly, 58 percent say they listen to the candidate’s questions to gauge their suitability. How do you know if you fit in with the culture? Ask these questions:
- What’s your internal communication style?
- How does your firm view contractors?
- Is risk-taking encouraged? How does your firm deal with failure?
- How do you celebrate successes – and when was the last time you celebrated?
You think you will be a good fit culturally, but you want to prove you will be the perfect choice for the role itself. Here are questions you should ask so they picture you in the role:
- How does my role contribute to the firm’s larger goals?
- What is the largest problem facing the current team that needs to be addressed immediately?
- I think I could help your team with that problem. Tell me more about what they’re already doing to fix it.
- If you hire me, what would your top priorities be for me?
Finally, to show how interested you are in the role, ask questions that will give you a better understanding of who you are up against and how close they are to hiring. For example:
- Where do I stand compared to other candidates interested in this role?
- What are the performance expectations in the first 30, 60, 90 days?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- Can I answer any final questions for you?
PEAK Technical Consulting has created connections with employers nationwide, where you can find projects and roles to make the most of your abilities and advance your career. Since 1968, PEAK has helped engineering professionals find jobs that offer flexibility, challenges and rewards. We are committed to giving you the resources and support you need to build the career of your dreams.
Take a look at some of the engineering jobs we offer.
If you are looking for employers and opportunities that will take your IT career to the next level and help you to achieve your goals, contact a PEAK recruitment expert today.