When preparing for an interview, it’s easy to get so wrapped up in research and practice you forget to prepare a strong list of questions. Asking questions in an interview serves two purposes. First, it reinforces the idea you are truly interested in the role. Second, it gives you an opportunity to discover important things you’ll need to know when weighing an offer. The right list of questions can help end the interview on a positive note, ensuring you’re remembered for the right reasons.
Questions That Make You Stand Out
Most of your competitors will ask standard questions like “tell me about a typical day,” or “what made the last person who had this job leave?” Many will also ask about salary and benefits. These are important questions, but if you really want to stand out and get useful information, consider asking questions like these:
- Is there anything about my background or experience that would prevent you from making me an offer?
- What are the goals for this role for the first three months, six months and one year?
- What types of people succeed here?
- What types of people do not succeed?
- What do you think are the three most positive aspects of the culture here?
- In what areas could the culture improve?
- What is the leadership style of the person I would be reporting to?
- How would you rate organizational communication? Can you tell me about areas where you wish it would improve?
- Other than this open role, what is the biggest challenge facing the team I would be joining?
- How often does the company promote from within?
- What is the ramp-up timeframe for this position?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
These types of questions can help gain insight into the company culture and the role itself. It’s important to get a feel for what it might be like to work for the organization, so you can make an informed decision if you receive an offer.
Remember the interview is just as much for you to evaluate the opportunity as it is for the hiring manager to evaluate you. However, keep your list concise and limit it to the most important questions.
Are You Looking for Engineering Opportunities?
If you are an engineer seeking opportunities to grow your career, it pays to have an expert recruiter on your side. PEAK Technical Staffing can help connect you with positions that align with your goals and skills, as well as your personality and work style. Browse our current engineering job openings or contact us to start the conversation today.
PEAK Technical Staffing can help connect you with employers and opportunities that leverage your engineering expertise and advance your career. We partner with employers nationwide who are looking for people with your skills and experience. Since 1968, PEAK has helped engineering professionals find jobs that offer flexibility, challenges and rewards.
Take a look at some of the engineering jobs we offer.
If you are looking for employers and opportunities that will take your engineering career to the next level and help you to achieve your goals, contact a PEAK recruitment expert today.